Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stem Cells in Ophthalmology Update 21: Clinical Trial Details

As with my inquiry into clinical trials underway using gene therapy in ophthalmology, Table 3 Gene Therapy in Ophthalmology - Ongoing Clinical Trial Details, I have undertaken a similar survey of the number of patients currently treated using stem cells. I found nine ongoing clinical trials and one about to begin.

As in the previous study, I visited the clinical trial information sites and extracted the pertinent information for use in this table, Table 3. Stem Cell Therapy in Ophthalmology - Ongoing Clinical Trial Details.

I then contacted each of the principals or sponsor involved in the study and requested the number of patients treated to date. The response to date has not been as good as with the gene therapy trials, but here is what I was able to find out.

Only two companies/institutions involved answered my request, and so I can only reliably report that 17 patients have been given stem cells for treatment of ophthalmic disorders to date.

I hope to gather additional information from either the clinical investigators or others and will update this table as new information is obtained.

Here, then, is the initial version of this table.



A downloadable pdf file of the above table is available by request.

To obtain copies of the current versions of the first two tables, listed below, please send me an email.

Table 1. Stem Cell Companies/Institutions Active in Ophthalmology

Table 2. Stem Cell Therapy in Ophthalmology by Application

4 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Frog said...

Hey Irv,

Here's another just out of the BBC Two patients get eye stem cells transplanted to restore sight http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18137879

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Irv Arons said...

I saw that, but I couldn't find a clinical trial associated with it.

Anyone?

Irv Arons

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nowadays there's too a lot garabage written on blogs, glad to see your blog has kept it is integrety. Thanks

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous James Bauernschmidt said...

I'm sure you'll keep us updated. Stem-cell treatments seem to be the last hope for many. However, it looks like it'll be at least another 3 years before they'll be available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home